In a significant boost to our Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s vision on ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat’ programme, and in sync with the announcement in the Union Budget 2022-23 that allocated 25% of Defence R & D Budget for industry led R & D, 18 major platforms have been identified by the Ministry of Defence for industry led Design & Development under various routes. The list is as follows:
Under the Defence Acquisition Procedure 2020, ‘Make’ Category aims to achieve self-reliance by involving greater participation of Indian industry. Projects involving design and development of equipment, systems, major platforms or upgrades thereof by the industry can be taken up under this category. For Projects under Make-I sub-category, Ministry of Defence will provide financial support up to 70% of total cost of prototype development.
1. Hypersonic Glide Vehicle
2. Directed Energy Weapons (300 KW and more) [High Powered Electromagnetic Devices and High Powered Laser Devices]
3. Naval Ship Borne Unmanned Aerial System (NSUAS)
4. Light Weight Tank
5. Self-Healing Mine Fields
6. Unmanned Autonomous AI Based Land Robot
7. 127 mm Naval Gun
8. 127 mm Guided Projectile
9. Electric Propulsion (Engines) for Ships
10. Standoff Airborne Jammer
11. Li-ion Cells/ Li-Sulphur Cells [Portable High Capacity Energy Systems replacing the Conventional Hydrocarbons
12. Communication System (AFNET System Switches, Routers, Encryptors & VOIP phones)
13. Electro Optical (EO) Pod (with subsequent upgrade to EO/IR) with high resolution sensing
14. ‘Plug and Play’ Housing/ Infrastructure for soldiers posted at extreme altitudes.
Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) Model
Under SPV model, private industry will be encouraged to take up design and development of military platforms and equipment in collaboration with the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and other organizations. Following are the two platforms that have been identified under this category.
1. Long Range Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) [High Altitude Long Endurance (HALE)]
2. Indian Multi Role Helicopter (IMRH)
Projects of Start-ups, MSMEs etc. involving high-end innovation would be pursued under the iDEX category and the following platform has been selected under this category.
1. Low Orbit Pseudo Satellites
Under Make-II, which is funded by industry with assured procurement, following platform has been listed.
1. Anti-jamming Systems for Multiple Platforms
Out of 18 major platforms mentioned above, following four platforms have been already accorded Approval-In-Principle (AIP) under Make-I category on 03rd March 2022:
1. Communication System (AFNET System Switches, routers, Encryptors& VOIP phones)
2. EO Pod (with subsequent upgrade to EO/IR) with high resolution sensing
3. Standoff Airborne Jammer
4. Light Weight Tanks
Mr. Tribhuvan Darbari MD & CEO Texmaco Defence Systems, Chief Executive Texmaco Rail & Engineering and Chairman CII Sub-Committee on Defence and Aerospace (ER), stated that “The indigenous development of these projects will help harness the design capabilities of Indian Defence Industry and position India as a design leader in these technologies.”